<

Saturday, November 25, 2006

I'm the Sharon in Vancouver!



It's snowing! A perfect end to an excellent and frazzling week. Despite moaning about how much studying there is to do, choosing to not to do any of it, and getting a haircut that didn't quite go as expected, I managed to catch up on Sex & the City reruns, buy buttons, kill all the villagers, and eat a lot of rice.

But awesomest of all was finding out that unbeknownst to me, TBW has been writing to some of my favourite design people for the last three weeks! He secretly schemed to have them write me some words of encouragement, as I have been feel less than enthusiastic about the law as of late (more than usual, if that's possible), and on Friday, it was all let loose on me. Simone from Cabanon Press and Marian Bantjes (MARIAN BATNJES!) wrote to me! And Leif Parsons did, too! He also sent me a drawing that I can't quite figure out (I think it's of an umbrella and 2 people, maybe? An umbrella with feet?). Jim Burgess, the awesomest comic artist ever, wrote a strip of Able + Baker
just for me, with a shout out! And the killer, the kicker, the extra fat on the bacon, the icing sugar on the strudel: Ellen Lupton sent me 2 books in the mail and wrote me a postcard! Ellen Lupton! 2 books! Handwritten postcard! Ellen Frickin' Lupton! AHHHH!!! Not only is her gift sweet and amazing itself, but it's also a relief to know that not all designers have nice writing. I have always been a little supertitious about handwriting, and assumed that the fact I wasn't a world-renowned graphics designer had something to do with my sloppy, scratchy, serial killer writing. Now I know it wasn't the handwriting that was holding me back.

Daaaaaaaaaaaang! I love surprises. This one is going to get me through the slushy rain, the law school, the joblessness, and the doubting, fo' sho. To the peeps who knew: who said I was going to cry? WHO?!! I want names!

PS. They also strung up the Christmas lights on The Tree in English Bay.
Yay!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are going to have to print that and frame it with his shout out!

Im glad ure glad! Hopefully it shall encourage you! Sometimes you need to take risks sometimes you have to go for the thing that makes you excited to be there and be doing what you are doing no matter how much you dont enjoy it in the moment.

That TBW has some good ideas i must say! Props to him!

10:36 p.m.  
Blogger Abi said...

SHARON THAT'S THE SWEETEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD!!! EVEN I WANTED TO CRY!! Thumbs up to TBW. You should post your comic somewhere visible to encourage you. It's so cute.

Anyway, I hope you're doing well. As for me, I've resorted to watching reruns of 90210 as a form of procrastination, which then prompted me to download a whole bunch of old Color Me Badd songs. I'm listening to them right now...hehe...anyway, e-mail me! I'll see you soon!! I'm back on Dec. 21st!

8:09 a.m.  
Blogger Sharon said...

I still read and look at it and go AHHHH!!!

Hello! I miss you 2, my Ontarians.

5:59 p.m.  
Blogger Voska Dour said...

I might have said u will cry, or dance happy pirate jig....either way TBW has had good plan for long time..he execute to perfection.

I invite u both aboard my pirate ship...we will steal from rich and give to poor farmers protected by samurai and also talk to famous folk people....

think it is vacation...All Aboard.

10:41 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm... i was just re-reading my comment... and it doesnt make any sense... uhhh ya... thats all

12:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home